1What are the goals of the Public Art Program?
Goals of the Public Art Program include: Commissioning artists rather than purchasing existing works, integrating artwork specific to the site through the collaboration of artists and design teams, and acquisition of a unique collection of artwork that is seamless with building design and infrastructure.
2What type of artwork is included in the Public Art Collection?
Public art opportunities at SAN vary from large and dramatic statements to intimate and subtle elements that may require numerous visits to discover. Some works are functional while others feature more traditional art forms. Some concepts create an experience to excite different senses, while others have deliberate placement to direct the traveler through the airport.
3Are tours available of the Public Art Collection?
The Arts Program hosts a limited number of art tours each year. For tour information, visit san.org
4What is the Airport Art Advisory Committee’s role in the Public Art Program?
The Art Advisory Committee oversees the selection of artists for the Airport Arts Program. The Art Advisory Committee consists of members who advise and make recommendations to the Airport Authority Board concerning the following matters:
Public Art policies and procedures
Airport Art Master Plan
Artist selection juries and process
Commission and placement of artworks
Maintenance and removal of artworks
5How are artists selected to receive public artwork commissions at SAN?
Artist Selection Panels are established by the Airport Authority to review and recommend artists for inclusion in the Public Art Program. Selection panel members are comprised of art and design professionals with representation from the Art Advisory Committee and the Airport Authority’s design and construction team. Special attention is given to ensuring disciplinary, institutional and cultural diversity.
6How do I find out about and apply for a Public Art opportunity?
Be sure to sign up for our email newsletter at the bottom right hand side of this page. This will ensure that you receive an email announcement each time a new opportunity is published.
New projects will also be posted on the "Opportunities" section of this website.
You can always contact us at email@example.com to inquire about future opportunities.
7How do I apply for Airport Development Plan Public Art Projects?
Airport Development Plan Public Art Projects
How to Register as a Vendor in PlanetBids
By registering as a Vendor you will receive notices on:
- Future Public Art opportunities with the Airport
- Addenda documents that may affect your document
- Additional documents when available
To register as a Vendor visit: http://www.san.org/business and complete the Vendor Registration. PlanetBids requires Adobe Flash. Please use the Google Chrome web browser to access PlanetBids on both Mac and PC. What you need to register:
- You will be asked to create a user name and password, please write them down and save for reference
- Have your federal tax ID # or your SSN available
- Select Business Category: 711510 Independent Artists, Writers, and Performers
Once you have successfully completed the registration process you will receive an e- mail confirming your successful registration. You will also receive notifications of all RFQs related to your business category.
To View and Apply for an Opportunity
- Visit http://www.san.org/business
- Select “Bid Opportunities”
- Find and select your interested artist opportunity OR type “art” in the keyword search bar
- Double click on the opportunity and a brief description will appear in the next screen
- To view the RFQ, select the “Documentation/Attachments” tab and double click on the RFQ underneath “File Name”
- Enter your vendor username and password and select “Download” to access the RFQ
- Read through the RFQ carefully and note the eligibility requirements
- When you are ready to apply, follow steps 1-4, select “Place eBid” at the bottom right hand corner, and enter your vendor username and password.
*Follow directions carefully, complete and submit ALL required documents. The artist selection panel will only review responsive/completed submissions.
8What are the qualifications and selection criteria for public art opportunities?
Eligibility requirements and evaluation critieria differ depending upon the specific project. Please consult the project Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for these details. In most projects, submissions are evaluated for the originality, creativity and consistency of the artist’s body of work, their professional qualifications and experience, and their experience working as part of a design team on projects of similar scale and complexity.
9How is the Public Art Program funded?
Airport Authority policies allow for a 2 percent allocation for art, derived from eligible construction costs. The types of projects include terminals, roadways, and other specified construction.